Monday, February 28, 2011

Quite Charming: Meaningful and Fashionable Jewelry

Hellooo!

I know it's been a while since I last posted, and contrary to popular belief, I have not dropped off the face of the Earth.  Unfortunately, I had a family emergency, which in a way, helped to inspire this posting.

Two weeks ago, my family's dog, Puppy, suddenly became very ill.  We've had him since he was a tiny pup, and even though my sister and I no longer live with our parents, we still consider him to be the littlest (and possibly the cutest) sibling in our family.  Anyway, long story short and after much testing, he was diagnosed with a mass on his heart, causing partial heart failure and other complications.  Sadly, we were told that because of his age and the nature of the mass, there is no long-term cure...  Although were able to take him home with some temporary relief medications, we were told to prepare for his ultimate decline.  Sometimes one must have an animal of his/her own before they can realize how meaningful and life-enriching a pet can be.  Puppy has simply been the light of our lives; always loving unconditionally and putting a smile on our faces every day.  Needless to say, my family has been devastated, and in dealing with my grief, I put my hobbies (including this blog) on the back-burner...

Well, after a couple of weeks of recovery, and with the support of some amazing friends, I'm back and feeling alright :)

Now, allow me to explain the thought behind the creation of this blog post.  While on my mental hiatus, I was contemplating a way to remember Puppy forever.  I thought about getting a tattoo, but I'm scared of needles, and although I love tattoos on other people, I don't really think they're my thing.  Coincidentally, around the time Puppy got sick, I had also pulled out one of my older Tiffany charm necklaces and had been wearing it layered with another charm necklace of different metal that I had recently acquired.  I love the look of the two together, and I got lots of compliments at happy hour when people realized both charms had a common theme of Luck.  Reaching down to play with my necklaces, it hit me: CHARMS can be the new temporary tattoos! They're amazing to mix and match, and anyone can create a meaningful, wearable message that not only holds sentimental value, but also looks great! They can even serve as vibrant conversation starters!

After a little bit of internet research, I was able to find a woman on Etsy who creates customized charm necklaces using the Dachshund (Puppy's partial breed) as a focus.  I ordered a gold and bronze piece and requested an added Sapphire stone to commemorate the birth month of my baby boy.  Voile!  A keepsake to wear whenever I want and to keep Puppy close to my heart forever.

Some thoughts on charms: Like I said before, mixing metals, colors, and medias looks great!  One of my favorite things to do with charms is to create some kind of theme.  If I need an extra Luck boost, I love mixing my Tiffany horseshoe with my little wish bone.  The best part is, you can always add on and change things over the years!  My next acquisition to the Luck duo, if I can find one I love, will be a little shamrock charm.

I also love mixing old with new.  Adding in a neat vintage piece adds a burst of extra character and opens a whole other route of meaning.

Another fun idea is to mix in letters.  Your own initial is always a go to, but if you have a special someone, that also always looks cute :)  And remember, if the relationship goes South, you don't have to see your tattoo artist to cover up a particular name...

Don't forget: Charms don't only have to belong on necklaces!  While I was shopping around in DC, I found the most adorable vintage bracelet from the 50s.  It has five different charms, each one being a different landmark from DC.  The perfect addition to any local (or well traveled) girl's collection!

Look over some of my favorite charms that I have posted below and get inspired to make wearable memories of your own!

Happy Charming!

<3 Puppy <3



Dachshund Love Doxie charm necklace by Madre de Olivia $25, Available from www.madredeolivia.etsy.com.



T&Co sterling silver horseshoe pendant $175, Available from Tiffany's.


Secret Charms wishbone necklace $39.50, Available from Banana Republic.





Bony Levy pave diamond pendant initial necklace $425, Available from Nordstrom.





Betsey Johnson Snow Bunny Glitter Bow Necklace $25.90, Available from Nordstrom.



 
Washington, DC souvenir charm bracelet $30, Vintage.


Love,
Brittany XO

No comments:

Post a Comment